Site update: a new taxonomy index and a11y improvements
Just pushed an update to this site.
The Browse page is now mainly an index of taxonomies and archives (years, post formats, categories, tags). This new index replaces the opacity-based tag cloud. I kind of miss it, but it was problematic. Very hard to digest, and the lighter greys were way too low-contrast.
Besides the index, most of the changes are related to accessibility. I focused on making the tabbing experience a bit better, introducing a couple skip links. Note that I haven’t totally ironed out the tabbing… Most of my manual testing for this update was done in Chrome. I checked it briefly in Safari and it’s pretty weird, but I think it may have to do with the default Safari settings. I haven’t adjusted these yet, read more about Safari tab settings on a11yproject.com. Besides the tabbing, I also had a handful of links that weren’t suitably descriptive, particularly on the new term index. I added more
aria-label attributes where I could. See the “Using aria-label for link purpose” page on the WCAG wiki for more info.
I’m trying to work on accessibility a bit more on an ongoing basis. Need to take a little dive in to this Hacker News thread, via this tweet.
- Chrome’s accessibility reference and devtools
- Firefox’s Accessibility Inspector and their blog post on Auditing for accessibility problems
- Are.na / Jon Gacnik / Accessibility
- Are.na / andré f. / web accessibility
- Are.na / Laurel Schwulst / Importance of Metadata in Web Accessibility
- GOV.UK – Make your public sector website or app accessible
- Galleries From A to Z Sued Over Websites the Blind Can’t Use, The New York Times, 18 February 2019
There are probably a million a11y optimisations I can / should still make on this site. Suggestions are very welcome.
Edit 08.11.19 – Added Mozilla accessibility blog post