Just pushed an update to this site.

The Browse page is now mainly an index of taxonomies and archives (years, post formats, categories, tags). This new index replaces the opacity-based tag cloud. I kind of miss it, but it was problematic. Very hard to digest, and the lighter greys were way too low-contrast.

Besides the index, most of the changes are related to accessibility. I focused on making the tabbing experience a bit better, introducing a couple skip links. Note that I haven’t totally ironed out the tabbing… Most of my manual testing for this update was done in Chrome. I checked it briefly in Safari and it’s pretty weird, but I think it may have to do with the default Safari settings. I haven’t adjusted these yet, read more about Safari tab settings on a11yproject.com. Besides the tabbing, I also had a handful of links that weren’t suitably descriptive, particularly on the new term index. I added more aria-label attributes where I could. See the “Using aria-label for link purpose” page on the WCAG wiki for more info.

I’m trying to work on accessibility a bit more on an ongoing basis. Need to take a little dive in to this Hacker News thread, via this tweet.

See also:

There are probably a million a11y optimisations I can / should still make on this site. Suggestions are very welcome.

I keep encountering issues when running Craft’s setup command locally. Note that I use MAMP Pro for this sort of thing. I entered all the database creds correctly, and then got a SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No such file or directory error. This StackExchange answer sorted it for me. Add 'unixSocket' => getenv('DB_SOCKET') to /config/db.php and DB_SOCKET="/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock" to .env.

Still encountering database connection issues on staging for one site currently under development. All of the credentials are set correctly in .env, but getenv() in /config/db.php retrieves the wrong DB_USER value. Ended up explicitly adding the problematic value to the /config/db.php file as a quick workaround, but it’s not ideal.

piperhaywood.com 

Finally updated my website to include information and links for a few recent projects. Sam and I worked together to redesign the site. In return, I helped him move his domain to sambaldwin.info.

I’m quite excited about the colour of the text and favicon. The hue, saturation, and lightness are calculated according to the season, temperature, and time of day where I am.

There’s definitely a couple of issues to sort out, will get to those soon.

Wrote a function returning an image element with srcset and sizes attributes. See this Gist for the function and this Gist for an example of the function in use (would need to be within the WP loop).

Wanted to give a front-end dev like Sam the ability to define the important bits, including the default image size for the src attribute, the media queries for the sizes attribute, and classes for the img element if necessary.

Edit 23 Jan 2019
This isn’t necessary anymore, responsive images have been part of WP core since v4.4. They’re implemented on wp_content automatically via a filter. Use their related functions if you need to do something custom. Responsive images are behaving a little erratically on my site though, so will have to take a look at why that might be happening.