Just pushed an update to this site.
The Browse page is now mainly an index of taxonomies and archives (years, post formats, categories, tags). This new index replaces the opacity-based tag cloud. I kind of miss it, but it was problematic. Very hard to digest, and the lighter greys were way too low-contrast.
Besides the index, most of the changes are related to accessibility. I focused on making the tabbing experience a bit better, introducing a couple skip links. Note that I haven’t totally ironed out the tabbing… Most of my manual testing for this update was done in Chrome. I checked it briefly in Safari and it’s pretty weird, but I think it may have to do with the default Safari settings. I haven’t adjusted these yet, read more about Safari tab settings on a11yproject.com. Besides the tabbing, I also had a handful of links that weren’t suitably descriptive, particularly on the new term index. I added more
aria-label attributes where I could. See the “Using aria-label for link purpose” page on the WCAG wiki for more info.
- Chrome’s accessibility reference and devtools
- Firefox’s Accessibility Inspector and their blog post on Auditing for accessibility problems
- Are.na / Jon Gacnik / Accessibility
- Are.na / andré f. / web accessibility
- Are.na / Laurel Schwulst / Importance of Metadata in Web Accessibility
- GOV.UK – Make your public sector website or app accessible
- Galleries From A to Z Sued Over Websites the Blind Can’t Use, The New York Times, 18 February 2019
There are probably a million a11y optimisations I can / should still make on this site. Suggestions are very welcome.
Edit 08.11.19 – Added Mozilla accessibility blog post