Independent live music venues in San Francisco
A list of independent live music venues in San Francisco sorted by capacity. Obviously not for right now, but I’d like to check them out when possible. Most of the list is from this 2018 article on the DNA Lounge blog (came across it on Twitter but can’t find the original tweet now…).
If someone reads this and goes “hey, that’s not independent!”, tell me and I’ll tweak the list.
- DNA Lounge (800 capacity) & Above DNA (300 capacity)
- Bimbo’s 365 Club (680 capacity)
- Neck of the Woods (500 capacity, 21+)
- Public Works (500 capacity, 21+)
- Halcyon SF (400 capacity, 21+)
- The Chapel (400 capacity)
- Rickshaw Stop (350 capacity)
- Cafe du Nord / Swedish American Hall (300 capacity)
- Bottom of the Hill (250 capacity)
- Brick and Mortar (250 capacity)
- Make-Out Room (200 capacity, 21+)
- Bender’s (200 capacity, 21+)
- SF-Eagle / The Eagle / Eagle Tavern (150 capacity, 21+)
- Boom Boom Room (150 capacity)
- El Rio (150 capacity, 21+)
- Thee Parkside (100 capacity)
- Milk Bar (100 capacity, 21+)
- Hotel Utah (90 capacity, 21+)
- Mr. Tipple’s (~75 capacity)
In terms of outdoor venues in the Bay Area, I think that Stern Grove and Jerry Garcia Amphitheater are owned by the SF Parks Dept. and the Greek Theatre is owned by UC Berkeley? Not sure. I imagine some of their gigs are organized by the major conglomerates, but it looks like the Stern Grove Festival is independent.
For independent venues elsewhere in the US, incl. The White Horse in Austin ❤️, check out the National Independent Venue Association.