Though it’s an unusual setup for a client site, I like the stack and would consider using it again for a similar project.
Surfing with coffee #5. Order of exploration:
Distributed, a book from OPEN Editions that “focusses attention on the act of distribution as a subject for serious creative consideration and one of great social and economic importance”. (↓D)
Searched for Brad Haylock on Twitter. (↓L)
Kenneth Goldsmith reflecting on the current state and possible future of UbuWeb after 15 years. Also relevant to the Whyspace event last Wednesday. “For the moment, we have no competition, a fact we’re not happy about. We’re distressed that there is only one UbuWeb: why aren’t there dozens like it?” (↓I)
Searched for Surpllus on Twitter. (↓L)
UbuWeb Twitter feed (↓J)(↓L)
RIP Filmstruck (↓K)
A wild, multi-armed internet search for an independent video rental hole-in-the-wall I went to probably around 5-6 years ago. Spent 20 minutes searching and couldn’t find it. Asked SB and he figured it out in about 30 seconds, see The Film Shop in Stoke Newington. Looks like it has probably gone the way of most other video shops though. :(
Hate how heavily I rely on Twitter to keep up with interesting peoples’ activity, especially after this past Saturday. Look in to alternative methods of creating/curating feeds outside of the social media rat race. (↓M)(↓N)(↓O)
Hardly Everything, “your feed with a cadence”.
Reeder for iOS and Mac (I think this is what SB uses).
Just deployed a new WordPress theme for artist Marysia Lewandowska, designed by Luke Gould. She has an excellent, simple email signature: Share What You Know
Just learned about Keith Collins and his relationship with Derek Jarman via Collins’s obituary in the Guardian. What an interesting life. This “how we met” interview with the two of them (The Independent, 1993) is worth reading, and there are some lovely photos around.
SB and I went to Rye with some friends in May 2017 and took a bus out to Dungeness. We just wanted to experience that strange landscape but came across Prospect Cottage as well. It’s all on it’s own, pretty far from much. No plaque or barriers or anything.
It’s a wonder that Collins maintained it for all those years after Jarman’s death. Who is maintaining it now?
Songs I’ll learn when I get a piano:
- Chopin, Nocturne en bi bémol majeur opus 9 no2: Ballade en Sol Mineur No.1
- Tom Waits, I’m Still Here
- Chilly Gonzales, Armellodie
- Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guébrou, The Song of the Sea
Some of these are almost certainly wishful thinking, it’s been a while. Reach for the moon… 💫
Tips for buying a secondhand piano (focus on uprights):
- YouTube vid from NJ-based Altenburg Piano house
- Tips from the Pianoforte Tuners’ Association
- David Boyce on buying a secondhand piano
Time to turn to the #1 self-teaching resource, the WORLD WIDE WEB. Have quickly discovered some circa-2000 diamonds in the rough. Sometimes the writing is a little salty, and it always has a pointed perspective, but pretty useful and fun. Need more room for tools.
- Dirk’s Piano Tuner v4.0
- Detwiler.us, A Modest Internet Empire
- Steve’s Piano Service
- The Frugal Berry
And a few books:
- Theory and Practice of Piano Tuning
- Piano Action Regulating
- Piano Servicing, Tuning and Rebuilding
- Theory and Practice of Piano Construction
- Piano Tuning: A Simple and Accurate Method for Amateurs
- Pianos: Their Construction, Tuning, and Repair – With Numerous Engravings and Diagrams
- The Craft of Piano Tuning
I’ve always been so impressed by Watith Tanjai’s work. He and his partner are continuing to do great stuff in Nakhonrajchasima, Thailand with 382 space. The Tumblr content is a little out of date, but his FB feed says they’re busy as ever. Looks like they’re dedicating a portion of the space to a nursery, including succulents I’ve never seen before.
Great stuff, hope to visit some day.
- Remote Only manifesto
- CSS-Tricks Screencast #160: The All-Powerful Front-End Developer
- Dotori, a Japanese+Korean restaurant in London
- Enoki Panel
- How I publish taravancil.com on the peer-to-peer Web
- Webtask – high hopes for this, but running in to issues w/ connecting to Airtable; TBC
- IPFS – not sure how I feel about IPFS, but worth being aware of it
- Txt file of all IETF RFCs – see 1630 specifically (!)
- NYC Mesh
- devMode.fm on support/maintenance retainers
- P2P Superchannel on Are.na
Going to write up more about serverless and P2P, and how they kind of intersect, once I’ve digested some of this.